I’m lovin expressions of love. Not so fond of those grocery store red roses in cellophane wrapping, and the shitty chocolates that most cats will buy their ladies today. But I do love the sentiment behind it — the “thought that counts.” Of course, what you do on Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be limited to Valentine’s Day, but that’s a lesson for another day. Because even if you aint shit the other 364 days of the year, Valentine’s Day is your yearly reminder of how to be a decent significant other to somebody.
Be grateful for the forgiving and gracious nature of the feminine species. Because even if you select from the Valentine’s options at CVS, she’ll still appreciate it. Of course, you can do better, but at least you did something. And that probably carries enough weight to get you a good kiss, a lil bit of tongue, and a few brushes up against her booty. However. Aim higher and you just might be in for a long night, and breakfast in the morning. A little bit of effort can yield glorious benefits.
Because I’m a giver and shit, I’ll share a few tips for setting the stage for a sexy evening.
- Buy flowers. Or pick em’. But do have them and ensure that they are gorgeous and fresh and free of filler — toss that baby’s breath shit and the extra greenery. Choose an exceptional flower and you won’t need the extra distractions.
- Be creative. I think cats wrap themselves in I aint got no money, or me and my girl don’t need no gifts bullshit because they still don’t get that it’s never really about the gift, or the coins you spent on it. A unique expression of your affection may not cost you much more than time. And you can give that. — Don’t be no fool though, Tiffany’s will go a hell of a lot farther for you than a homemade card.
- Respect the element of surprise. There’s no substitute for opening the front door to a room filled with candlelight and rose petals, and the right song. Except maybe if it’s the bathroom door, and the tub’s overflowing with bubbles. Yeah, make that happen.
- The “mix tape.” Fuck whatcha heard about romance being corny and/or dead. It works. Sifting through your life’s soundtrack, plucking out the song that best describes that dope ass feeling you felt that time with that person requires a certain level of engagement and attention. And she loves that. Trust me, she loves that. Besides, the music and that memory will last well after the chocolates are stale and the flowers have died. And that stuffed animal is more or less in the way of your real, adult life.
- “Turn off all the lights, and light some candles instead.”
I feel like every blog worth its arrogance has a Love Song List as its rite of passage. In keeping with tradition, here’s my offering. You’re welcome, mufukkas.
1. Garden of Love – Raheem DeVaughn
2. Adore – Prince
3. Sparkle – Cameo
4. I Wanna Be Closer – Switch
5. Superhero – Esthero
6. Hey Now – Carl Thomas
7. Easy Conversation – Jill Scott
8. Love TKO – Teddy Pendergrass
9. Send It On – D’Angelo
10. Submerge- Maxwell
11. You Move Me – Cassandra Wilson
12. Closer – Slum Village
13. Reasons – Faith Evans
14. Lay Your Head on My Pillow – Tony! Toni! Tone!
15. The Look of Love – Isaac Hayes
*Feel free to edit accordingly, but do apply liberally.*
Happy Valentine’s Day, yall!